Socure has upgraded its document verification solution by acquiring Berbix, a startup that developed a high-accuracy document verification solution with a patent-pending forensics engine able to detect fake IDs – including AI-generated fakes. We also released our DocV 3.0 Predictive Document Verification (DocV) solution, setting a new bar for accuracy, speed, and fraud detection.
Predictive Document Verification verifies a resident’s government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or photo ID card, against their facial biometrics. On top of the 98% of users verified automatically, the remaining 2% now have a significantly improved document upload process. DocV 3.0 is one of the most reliable, fully-automated, and user-friendly online document verification products on the market. Combined with Socure ID+, this acquisition helps solve huge challenges in digital ID verification for high-volume, public-facing programs like unemployment insurance.
DocV 3.0 also provides a convenient step-up option for applications where a government ID is required, such as age verification or occupational licensing. Our new offering is included in our standard lightweight SDK integration, making it easy for government agencies to implement.
Solving Document Verification Challenges for the Public Sector
What does this mean for our public sector partners? Government customers get better and faster service, which improves user experience and saves taxpayer dollars. For good submissions, DocV 3.0 has a first-attempt approval rate of 90%, which is 26% above the industry standard of 64%. We are able to catch 83% of fraudulent submissions, which is 27% above the industry standard of 56%.
“Right now, the U.S. digital identity infrastructure relies on document uploads and manual reviews that are time-consuming, ineffective, and unable to prevent fraud,” said Jordan Burris, Socure’s Head of Public Sector Strategy. “Worse yet, legacy solutions deployed across the sector have disproportionately affected communities who already have trouble verifying their identity – immigrants, Gen Z, low-income individuals – leaving them behind as government agencies move online. Better document verification means better results and a more equitable experience for every American. ”
The positive impact of improved document verification can make a huge difference. For example, a Disparate Impact Study from the State of Oregon Unemployment Department found 48% of unemployment claims filed on the Internet were left incomplete. In a survey of users who abandoned their claims, 11% gave up before a manual document review via video call, and another 15% gave up because the identity verification process was confusing. Better document verification and improved automated verification can drastically reduce those numbers.
Meanwhile, the last few years, nation-state actors, criminal enterprises, and fraudsters have accelerated their attacks on government programs. Recently, the Inspector General for the Small Business Administration reported $200 billion in taxpayer funds were lost or stolen during the pandemic. Bad actors often use fake IDs and spoofed documents to steal money, which government agencies and the private sector have trouble detecting. The Berbix acquisition aims to stop this problem and reach our goal of eliminating identity fraud on the internet.
Our in-house document verification solution has the highest true approval rates, the fastest response, the best user experience, and the lowest number of false negatives of anyone in the market—and we achieved this without leveraging any third-party data sources. This helps approve more good customers while weeding out bad actors in real time for government agencies. Socure ‘s industry-leading offering includes market-defining offerings for ID barcode extraction, computer vision, biometric image comparisons, and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology that converts the front of an ID into machine-readable data.
Government agencies can use Socure ID+ with DocV 3.0 to transform their digital offerings.
Put us head-to-head against another vendor’s document upload solution or identity verification offering, and we’ll prove why we are the partner of choice for delivering a seamless and secure digital experience to the American public.
Brian Chidester is the Head of Public Sector Marketing at Socure and the host of "The Government Huddle with Brian Chidester" podcast from GovExec. Formerly, Brian served as the Industry Vice President for Global Public Sector at Genesys and has held global public sector leadership roles with OpenText, Appian, Monster Worldwide, Arrow ECS and S&P Global. He holds a B.S. in Communications Studies from Liberty University, is a Board Member for the University of South Florida - Muma College of Business, an advisor to the G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance at the World Economic Forum, and a member of the Forbes Technology Council.